Apr 13, 2011

A low-key bridal shower


Hey all! Hope everyone's week is going well!

As I mentioned on Monday, a friend and I co-hosted a small, laid-back bridal shower on Saturday for another friend. We decided to do a brunch, because, well, what's more fun than brunch? And since we were going for something relaxed, we didn't do a lot of cooking :)

Here's the spread -- a yummy spinach and feta quiche, a selection of divine pastries (both from a local bakery), a scrumptious fruit salad and a mixed greens salad (made by my co-host extraordinaire). And we sipped on sparkling lemonades and mimosas.


Oh, and that adorable tablecloth and coordinating napkins are from Target.

I also made some light and fruity cupcakes. 


I have a confession -- I'm not much of a cook! I'm pretty hit or miss. Anyways, I found an easy-looking Martha Stewart recipe for triple-citrus cupcakes, but they came out like little rocks. Thank goodness for my back-up Duncan Hines! I zested some lemons, limes and oranges and added the zest to the cake mix before baking. I topped them with Martha's citrus glaze and made three flavors -- lemon, lime and orange. They came out yummy and I dare say no one guessed the cake mix came from a box. What can I say? Cakes from scratch just aren't my thing.

I was also in charge of decorations. I made a ton of Martha's tissue paper pom poms for my wedding (and never used them), but I think they are just so flirty and fun. I picked up some light pink tissue paper from Michaels and made some more to go with the white ones I already had. I hung them from the curtain rod over the guest of honor's chair. They remind me of cotton candy!



I also used Martha's monogram labels and some pink and gray ribbon to make some cute favors for our handful of guests. The boxes held colorful scented votives from Target. We lucked out that none of the guests had the same first initial, so it was easy for them to find theirs.


My present to the bride-to-be got its own monogram too.


And I made a super-cute banner using the monogram labels that spelled out the names of the bride and groom, which was hung over the entrance to the dining room and the yummy spread. Buuut...I forgot to take a picture. Must have been that mimosa (or two).

Vases of fresh flowers completed the simple decor.


Thank-you cards for guests to address for the bride-to-be

It was so fun to enjoy a relaxing Saturday chatting with good friends!

No comments: