Sep 12, 2011

Fall's first pumpkin

How do you pick your pumpkin?


Me, I like to take my time. I like to survey, not looking for anything in particular, but one that calls to me. There are so many great ones, but I feel like there's always one that seems to say, "Yes, I was grown for you. Take me home!"

Last year's pumpkin

Usually I find that one, give it a good once over, then put it down and keep looking. All the while, I can feel its pull, calling me back over. Even if it's not the "perfect" pumpkin, or even what I was planning to buy, as soon as I have that feeling, I know I've found it.


Do you go for little, or big? Tall and skinny, or short and round? 

Me, I tend to come home with shorter, rounder ones -- they just look happy to me for some reason, cheerful. I like to find ones that aren't too round, ones with little dimples or dents, or maybe a little lopsided. If I wanted a perfectly round, symmetrical pumpkin, I'd buy a plastic one at the store. It's a living thing that grew on the ground, and I love when it looks that way.


What about the stem? Short stem, or long? Straight stem, or curly?

I love a stem with a little personality -- not too short, or straight, and with a little shape. If it's got a little green left, I'm smitten.


Over the weekend, I bought my first pumpkin of the season. It's a little early, but I couldn't resist. The air is starting to cool off and the fall winds are blowing in, and it just felt right.


This one asked me to bring it home, so I did. I also bought a pot full of orange mums.



I set them both next to a tree along our driveway to give our visitors a proper fall greeting. Aren't they happy buddies?


I don't know why, but this picture makes me think of two kids waiting for the bus.


Then I decided to add my delightfully weathered apple barrel. I think it completes my little outdoor fall vignette really well!


I don't know how long this pumpkin will last -- if it'll make it all the way to October and carving time. But for now, it's making me happy.

Have you decorated for fall yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the apple barrel! Very cute!